Tiny Hand With Red Heart

Friday, August 30, 2013

Why Nursing?

Why Nursing?

Art/Designed by Cedie.
I have also asked myself that question too many times already. I can still remember my elementary days, when asked on what course I’ll probably take when I enter college, I’d always answer, ‘An engineer! Or A teacher!’. Back then, I've always wanted to be one of those two because I was really inspired by how a teacher can inspire so many students despite a very tiring profession. How they would go on with their everyday lectures and still share something meaningful to the class. And so, up until I was a grade 6 student, being a teacher or an engineer was all I could think of.

And then, things changed when I entered high school. My perspective changed. When the time came for filling up of application forms for universities in college, I applied to two universities, Bicol University and University of Sto. Tomas.  I would've applied to Letran under a varsity scholarship but then I know I had been pretty lax on my performance In chess and so I haven’t tried; if only I had concentrated on playing chess when I was in elementary and high school, I would've pursued that path, but oh well, that’s another story. In UST, my first and second choice had been Nursing (BSN) and Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) respectively; while in BU my first choice was also nursing (I forgot my second choice there).

Though I admit, making up my mind to put Nursing as a first choice in the universities that I applied for college was hard because I had to set aside my childhood dream to become a teacher/engineer and also, for the little part of that dilemma comes with the fact that, I am scared of bloodSrsly. My knees would go weak whenever I see any blood. Why nursing then, if I'm afraid of shots? If I'm afraid of seeing operations? How much more if I’ll see them on a day to day basis once I become a nurse? 

Why I chose nursing can date back to when I realized that I really wanted to take care of people, to extend a helping hand to others (whether sick or healthy person) and to inspire them to take better care of themselves. This realization came to me as I was watching the TV show and I saw people in a hospital not getting the prompt treatment. It pained me to see people suffer more that what they are suffering because of delayed treatment/s just because they don't have enough money to pay for a downpayment/medicine/operation. Heartbreaking as it may sound, though its only a fictional show, this also happens in reality, you get what you pay for. That's why I made up my mind that if ever given the chance to help others, I'd really like to make a difference, no matter how small that difference may be. I also realized that I wanted to pursue a course where I can be around kids most of the times, as I find them the cutest. J I wanted to be given the opportunity to play  and laugh with them, answer their unending questions on “why’s and how’s”, as well as to teach them endless things, aside from the fact that I’ll be one of the persons assigned to care for them. I guess, being caring is a given trait if one grows up in a closely-knit family and being the eldest child, just like mine. 

Maybe, the desire fueled up inside me once I realized the dream of being a nurse overcomed any second thoughts that I had for choosing nursing as a profession.  And right now, whenever I look back, I would often tell myself that I don’t  and will never regret that decision. Yeah, I may not have a job right away, but definitely, because I chose something that I love, I know that I have chosen the path that I will never get tired of.

I've realized that every profession is tiring, every profession needs a sacrifice; but whatever profession you may choose, you should choose it with all your heart. You should NEVER choose a course just because you want to have a high paying job after you graduate; you don’t choose something just because someone told you so; you don’t choose just because you have to please your parents or you have to live their dream for you. Yes, those factors may have an impact as to what you will probably choose, but you should think first of yourself, it is your future that’s at stake after all. If in the course of your journey, you fail; you cannot fall back to an excuse and blame them for persuading you because you had a choice in the first place. And so you’ll have to decide for yourself.  


A nurse in white


"Choose the profession that you love, something that you have passion for. Do whatever makes you happy.  Because doing something that you love as a profession is probably the most satisfying job you’ll ever have." - Zsusa Lorena

‘Tis me,
Nurse Miss Z, J


No comments:

Post a Comment